Saturday, January 14, 2017

Hand-spun and Knitted

The yarn was spun on my drop spindle from Merino wool roving, then knitted (after many restarts ;) into fingerless gloves. My daughter is wearing them and loves them!

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Bidding Adieu?

It seems something about Blogger affects all of us sooner or later. I've been lucky, but now I can't find a way to post photos from my IPad without the Blogger app that was recently retired. So friends, I'll leave my blog in place for now and keep up with the things all of you are doing. However, posting my own may come to be a thing of the past. I've had this blog for YEARS, not even sure how many. Comments still work though, so I can follow along and we can stay in touch! 

Friday, December 30, 2016

Still Spinning, Knitting, and Felting

I've kept my hands busy while trying to sort out a Blogger posting dilemma, and here are my two recent vessels. The white one is mostly Alpaca fiber mixed with a bit of dyed Merino sheep wool for the stripe. It's 5" across and 1 1/2" deep. The taller tan one is 100% natural Alpaca fiber (no dyeing) with the same dyed Merino stripe. Alpaca has become my favorite fiber to spin and knit because of its incredible softness. Plus, it felts into a cloud!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Wintry Wishes

My wishes for a most joyous holiday season to all my blog-reading friends! This nostalgic photo always reminds me of winter and the Christmas season. My Grandfather walked to work everyday as switchman in the old wooden railroad tower along the Delaware River. Then we walked the same tracks to visit him on his job. I remember the row of large wooden switch handles in his small space at the top of the tower. To keep us busy, he shared paper, pencils, and carbon paper. It was like magic to see our drawings reproduced on the paper underneath the carbon paper! Do any of you also remember the "Choo-choo-choo" sound and whistle of steam engines?

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Moving on...

I just knitted this slightly uneven small vessel with one of my drop-spindle yarns. Between it being one of my first hand-spun yarns and using the wrong size knitting needles, it turned out quite primitive. But the combined Merino wool, silk, nylon roving I used to spin the yarn had a thread of sparkle in it, so I like it!  PS: My hand appointment went well, and I'm hoping to pick up the creative pace. :)

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Still Here with Alpaca

Not much creating has been happening here with holiday preparations, cold weather bothering my hands, etc. However, I ordered a 1 ounce "sample" of alpaca roving from the Etsy shop of "Luce Ends Farm" in Vermont. It arrived and is beautiful! It's pre-drafted in a width I like to spin, and I couldn't wait to try it. I have an appointment for my hands later this week, but my creative urges will not be kept down for long! 

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Knitted a Monster Chunk

I'm creating quite a large knitted monster gallery. Here is my latest, he's about 3" tall. They all make me happy!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Last Vintage Quilt Restoration Photos

This utilitarian quilt was stitched entirely by hand as evidenced in this first photo. Every scrap of fabric was used, nothing was wasted.
Finished quilt!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Vintage Quilt Restoration

I picked up a tattered, torn, and dirty quilt at a flea market a few years ago. After talking to the seller to get its story, then researching the info myself, I was able to make the nameplate in the first photo for the quilt back. The second photo shows a part of the quilt that the nameplate describes. For some reason, my iPad is balking at posting additional photos, so those (including one of the whole quilt) will come soon in a new post. 

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Center-Pull Egg

This is double-plied handspun yarn from my drop spindle. I'm getting better at winding it but instead of a ball, I always end up with an egg. 

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Using Hand-Spun Yarn

I've tried numerous knitting projects with my hand-spun spindle yarn, but the only successful ones seem to be critters and vessels. Here is the first knitted and lightly felted vessel. Since I hadn't done any beading lately, I use some to embellish it. I've decided making apparel like mittens and scarves is just not my forte!     

Sunday, November 6, 2016

An Afternoon's Labor

I wanted to use some yarn, and I had recently received a link to a cute hedgehog video. So I went on a hunt for a pattern to knit one. This little guy is only 1-1/2" long. I'm not sure if I will put him with my other critters or give him to my kitties to play with. He is the same size as their fake mice!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Assembly Line Yarn Making

Here are two separate drop-spindle yarns going through different stages. Once spun, the yarn is soaked on a Niddy Noddy and left to to dry. Complete drying can take a couple days.
After drying, it's stored in a hank, then wound into a center-pull ball before using (my balls look more like eggs). Anything that works can be used to wrap the yarn around. I happened to have an old wooden machine spindle that works great, but so does a cardboard toilet paper tube!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

I'm Staying Busy

At the risk of boring my non-spinning and knitting friends, here is what I've been doing, and I love it! The little vessel is from drop-spindle handspun merino wool roving, and the Niddy Noddy has my latest batch drying. It's also merino roving, but with some silk and a sparkle added. I look forward to knitting with this! 

Monday, October 24, 2016

My Daughter's Work

My daughter cut out the triangles long ago, then assembled this wall hanging yesterday. I love that she kept the dark diagonals but went with random overall triangle placement. That gives it more interest instead of a static symmetrical look. She tied it in a traditional manner, definitely my daughter!