Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Crazy Quilt Girl" Spirit Doll

I'm re-posting one of my favorites that was lost when I accidentally deleted my first blog, this Spirit Doll that I made for our daughter. I started by making a large 15" crazy quilt block, folded it in half right sides together, traced and cut out the doll shape, then turned it before stuffing. It's embellished with crazy quilt stitches, bead embroidery and a shisha mirror. There's a Swarovski crystal hanging with the beads from one arm and a sprig of dried sage imbeded in her stuffing, both for positive energy. The face is hand-embroidered with many tiny stitches. When making a doll from a crazy quilt block, there's no telling how she will look until she's turned right side out. Each doll is different, and that element of surprise is fun!

17 comments:

Lisa Criswell / Indigo's Beads said...

i like the idea of putting the sage inside. very clever. turned out real nice!

Blue Ridge Mountains said...

My next doll for friend Mary I think I will use rosemary for remembrance though she will probably need energy... a combo of both?
I am so glad you didn't get lost in never-never land. Love your blog

Carol said...

She's a great doll!
Wow, You sure have your new blog up and running and lots of cool places to visit!

Sad you lost the old, but heck, sometimes a fresh start is a good thing.
xx, Carol

Gene Black said...

I love the fabric that became her back. It seems to suit the theme of the doll.

Deborah said...

She's one of my favorites!

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, she's a real work of art. Her face is so serious next to the playful crazy quilting. I love her and I'm happy to see her again. Gita

Yvonne said...

Yes, this one is one of my favorites too. Her face is lovely. The embroidery stitiches look wonderful. Every detail you add, especially adding the herb inside, says so much.

Barb said...

I am so glad that you are reposting so we can enjoy them...

Penny said...

Its so nice to see this little beauty again - and I love the way you've hung her up.

Penny said...

Its so nice to see this little beauty again - and I love the way you've hung her up.

Its All About Creating said...

It's amazing to find out that you don't know what it will look like until it is turned right side. It's perfect. I love the embroidery too.

PeggyR said...

I love the new doll and so happy your blog is going well.

Margaret Hall said...

Love, love her...Glad that you found her and could bring her out for us to capture her...She looks quite pensive, sort of like she is serious at her role as a Spirit Doll..Thanks for sharing, it is lovely!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

This is an incredible doll and the beading gives movement to her as she is held in the hands who admire her....beautiful work inside and out! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Katie said...

She is great. I'm glad you re-posted her! (Sometimes I want to repost old ones and I didn't lose my blog. ha!) Take care.

Sandy said...

Wonderful doll. She lifts our spirits too.

Kim D. said...

Beautiful, I know your daughter loves it. The face on this one is nice.