Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Irish Chain Girl" Spirit Doll

Another post from my lost blog is "Irish Chain Girl" Spirit Doll, who I decided to re-post for St. Patrick's Day. She started with a 15" Irish Chain quilt block (see photo below) folded right sides together before tracing the pattern and cutting her out. Assembly and stuffing went quickly before starting to embellish. Her face is embroidered of many tiny stitches and surrounded by glass seed beads. Her hair and body adornments are bugle and seed beads, and the cabochon attached in the center is an interesting stone I picked up on the coast of the Irish Sea in County Wicklow, Ireland. I hand-sculpted, baked, painted and varnished her hanging shamrock. Her green "positive-energy" Swarovski crystal hangs just above the shamrock. She also has sage embedded in her stuffing for additional positive energy. She is one of my smaller dolls at 7 1/2" but like them all, she is weighted for standing by a pouch of polished river rocks inside her base.

18 comments:

Beansieleigh said...

Oh Barbara! She's gorgeous! I love everything that went in to making her too! Now I'm wondering if you sell your dolls? ~tina

Stray Stitches said...

Your work is stunning. May the luck of the Irish be with you!

Pat said...

You KNOW I love this one!!! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!!

Carol said...

O she's a doll...oops she IS a doll. ~lol~
I like that she is not all green and I love her hair and of course your charm. You know I love your charms.

Happy St. Pats Day!
Lots of green around this area
all rivers and beer run green here.

PeggyR said...

Oh she is very cute!

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

She is absolutely fabulous. Your talent and especially your attention to the tiniest details shine! I just love your spirit dolls.

Lisa Criswell / Indigo's Beads said...

i like the use of the stone from ireland to go with her shamrock. nice work!

Yvonne said...

Awww, just in time for St. Paddy's day. I love her little face.

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, she's beautiful! May the luck of the Irish be with you.
Gita

Blue Ridge Mountains said...

Another success.

Its All About Creating said...

A spirited Irish girl! The stone from Ireland is a wonderful detail. She's beautiful!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Barbara this doll is stunning...I am of Irish descent and I love that you have created her. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen ...I am still very ouchy today still :O\

Deborah said...

I loe the quilt connection. She's perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

jennifer said...

Aawww, she's adorable:)

Penny said...

Perfect timing - with St. Patrick's Day! Hopefully her four leaf clover luck will pass along to you as you continue to bring your blog up to date. She is lovely and has a very hopeful look to her which seems so very important during these days of bad news everywhere.

Gene Black said...

Barbara, that is such a clever idea, using the Irish Chain block for making her. I love it.

And may the road rise to meet you and
may the wind be always at your back

Sandy said...

Perfect for March. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Margaret Hall said...

Oh, what a happy, positive Spirit Doll~!! Love how you outline her, then turn the block for the outcome...She is wonderful~!
Happy Bloggin'....