Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Sewing Girl" Spirit Doll

I bought the fabric for this doll for May, but the idea really took off when I won some delightful sewing-themed charms on Elaine's Creative Works blog -- a wooden thread spool and tiny sewing machine that are hanging from her arm on the left with the hand-felted blue beads (purchased from Beth Moore Beads on Etsy). The other arm holds a vintage wooden tile with a basket quilt block printed on it. Her beads are Czech glass seed beads, some of which surround the Shisha mirror on her chest. Her hair is done with a peyote stitch to which I added a yellow ruffle stitch and a red Swarovski crystal. Her face is hand-embroidered with many tiny stitches. She never goes anywhere without her safety pins, so additional embellishments are tiny gold pins adorned with seed beads and a measuring tape. Once again, this spirit doll has sage inside with her stuffing to add to the positive, healing energy of the crystal. The usual pouch of polished river rocks for weight is in her base so she stands firmly. She is one of my larger dolls measuring about 10 1/2". The photo will enlarge if clicked once, or click twice for additional enlargement.
PS: Some have asked if my dolls are for sale, and although it's difficult to think about letting them go, I now realize I can't keep them all. It's hard to make decisions about all of this, especially pricing, but I'm working on setting up an Etsy shop. It should be fun!

27 comments:

Yvonne said...

She is so lovely with that fabric you chose. All the little additions are great too. Another wonderful doll!

Rebag said...

I just love these dolls!! Awesome job once again!~

jennifer said...

Barbara she is beautiful ,like you.

Blue Ridge Mountains said...

I love all the little extras you added to this wonderful doll. Being a seamstress for many years I'D say your doll is right on the spot. Thanks for sharing.

Pat said...

Being one who sews, I absolutely love this doll, of course. (But...then I have loved all of them you have made and shown us!)

PeggyR said...

I love the fabric you used on this one!

Barb said...

Love it!

Katie said...

She is adorable! I love the theme...of course! :0) Good luck with the etsy shop too- it will be great!

Stray Stitches said...

She is gorgeous! I don't know how you would be able to part with any of your beautiful dolls.

ooglebloops said...

She is adorable!!!

Carol said...

She certainly promotes an appropriate theme. Her charms and beaded pins are so cute. I LOVE the way she carries her sewing machine with her!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am so pleased to see how she has grown right in front of our eyes. Thank you! Mary Helen

Gene Black said...

Your sewing girl is just adorable. I love the embellishments she has. The seed beeds on the spools of thread really make me smile.

Its All About Creating said...

Wow, you've been busy. She is wonderful! All of you comes through this piece. What amazes me is how the tiniest detail makes the personality. Beautiful!

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Beautiful doll!

Kim D. said...

This one is adorable, I hope you keep it for yourself. I love the details, the measuring tape, the pins with beads and the charms are very nice. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling your dolls.

Lisa Criswell / Indigo's Beads said...

all the little charms sure do add, well...charm!

kaysim said...

She's wonderful! Just perfect.

Karen said...

Your "sewing girl" has to be my favorite! Love the fabric and the decorations you used. She is a work of art!

Sandy said...

Perfect doll .
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I like the name Crossroads.

Deborah said...

I love all of your dolls! Good luck with your etsy shop!

Penny said...

Wonderful doll Barbara -- SEW perfect for her theme. Love the little collectibles you've added. I think her face is one of your best.

The Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

Not sure which part I like the most! The little trinkets are sooo cute!
Analisa in Dubai

Elaine Akers said...

Barbara...your Sewing girl doll is wonderful. I haven't been online much recently, but glad I decided to check your blog this morning. The material and the way you used the charms are so sew perfect for this beautiful doll. Glad you could use the charms. I still have more of those. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your Etsy store.

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Hi Barbara, so lovely to hear from you. Sorry I'm so lapse on visiting you blog.
Always a pleasure to see your art dollies.
Loads of lovexx
Julie

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Thank you so much Barbara! How's your doll making going? The fabric you use are so colourful. I can imagine how exciting it would be to visit a really great fabric store. Fabric heaven! The pieces of ribbons and buttons.
Just so exciting when making something new comes into the world.
I hope your having great fabric heavenly days!
Hugs!
Julie

Micki said...

This one is just gorgeous! If you ever consider selling this one, I would buy it.
I just love it!
Micki