Monday, August 22, 2011

"Paper Doll Girl" Spirit Doll


This doll reminds me of playing paper dolls with my friend when we were little girls. We were always under the watchful eye of her mother. The hand-made polymer face (by Whytefeather of Squirrelly Ducks) is reminiscent of the soft smile on my friend's mother's face. The little boy and girl charms hanging from the doll's arms were actually buttons adapted for this use. The beads above those charms were hand-sculpted of paper clay and are from Beth Moore Beads on Etsy. A faux pearl necklace holds this doll's Swarovski crystal which along with home-grown sage in her stuffing is believed to give her positive and protective energy. All of the beading was done with Czech glass seed beads of various sizes, and her face is surrounded with three rows of different bead stitches. Click twice for close ups of details. My usual pouch of polished river rocks is in her base for standing weight. The photo below shows the fabric print on back. This was a nostalgic doll to create!


15 comments:

Yvonne said...

You find the cutest fabric and embellishments. I used to love paper dolls when I was small. Another great doll! :)

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, I played with paper dolls also. This doll is so beautiful. Your attention to details is just wonderful. I love the fabric too.
Gita

Carol said...

O my gosh she is cute. I thought those dangly dolls were the paper dolls until I saw the fabric. How cute. You have a whimsical eye.
Another magical doll added to your collection.
xx, Carol

Its All About Creating said...

Big success. I so enjoy the story behind each detail. Boy, does it ever bring back memories from my childhood. Thank you. She is beautiful.

jennifer gail said...

Pretty Barbara:)

Whytefeather said...

She's lovely and oh my, hadn't thought about playing with paper dolls when I was little for ages! Another wonderful doll :)

Elaine Akers said...

another fun doll. While I went to my cousins last week for a few days on Cape Cod, I stopped at 3 quilt shops. I love the fabric you used for your doll.

PeggyR said...

I use to play with paper dolls! I think you have another winner here.

Stray Stitches said...

Another gorgeous creation! I used to love playing with paper dolls. Thanks for bringing up the memories.

Penny said...

How fun to go back in time! I had a whole drawer full of paper dolls and my best friend and I spent hours playing with them. This is a special doll.

kaysim said...

I love the playfulness of this one. Very neat!

The Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

Love it!

Deborah said...

I think this every time, but I think this may be my favorite!

NatashaMay said...

Hi Barbara! This is such a beautiful doll. I found you through Liberate your Art postcard swap but I can't seem to find your post about the swap. I'm interested to see which postcards you participated with in the swap an which ones you got in return. :)

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Hope the wind isn't to bad where you live? Thinking about you!
Hugs!
juile