Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Penguin Girl" Spirit Doll


The first time I saw this penguin print fabric, I knew I had to make a spirit doll with this theme. Penguins were my daughter's favorite animals when she was very young, so they have special meaning. The vintage sterling silver charm hanging from one arm belonged to my daughter, but she willed some of her outgrown treasures to me when she grew up. This charm is unique and looks to be hand-crafted -- the head, one wing and feet are all movable. Attached to the other arm is a gold and black metal charm and a hand-crafted dark green bead at the bottom from Beth Moore Beads Etsy shop. The glass beading is done with Czech seed beads, bugle beads, a yellow and black lampwork bead and there are some sequins. The cabochon on her chest attached with seed bead stacks is a piece of green sea glass collected on the Boston Harbor Islands. Her face is hand-embroidered with many tiny stitches, and her hair is adorned on one side with seed bead strands held together by glass rings. She has sage inside with her stuffing and a Swarovski crystal is attached to her hand, both believed to add positive, healing energy. The usual pouch of polished river rocks for weight is in her base so she stands firmly. This was a fun one to create!

Later PS: A couple commented they liked the fabric, so here is a photo of the back of this doll. After the doll was put together, I had a hard time choosing which to use as the front.


14 comments:

Pat said...

I have quite a fondness for penguins and have a collection of penguin-related items, so this one really made me smile. (It was especially nice to smile, too, since I have been battling a severe poison ivy infection that has gone systemic and caused me quite a bit of trouble and seems not to want to quit.) So....thanks for sharing this!!! Another great job by you, of course!

Stray Stitches said...

This is a truly amazing spirit doll. Your work is so exquisite!

Whytefeather said...

She is lovely :) What a fun doll! How special she is with the memories and loved charm to complement the fun penguin fabric.

Its All About Creating said...

I love your daughter's charm. She is beautiful. Great color choices and, of course, the beaded hair is spectacular. The more I look at her, the more I am seeing. Just beautiful.

Gene Black said...

She is quite intriguing. I love the penguin fabric on her.

Yvonne said...

This one is just wonderful! They just keep getting better and better. Love that fabric and the beaded face!

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Your art dolls just get more beautiful every time! This is a favourite for sure!

Penny said...

What wonderful fabric and I love the yellow fabric at the top, picking up the color below. She's wonderful!!

The Other Barb said...

another work of art :)really cute fabric & great beading!

Elaine Akers said...

I have that fabric, but haven't had time to make anything with it yet. I love your penquin spirit doll.

PeggyR said...

This is a very clever doll!

The Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

This is really nice! I love the penguin fabric...lovely.

Katie said...

I marvel at your beading Barbara. She is great!

Deborah said...

Lovely, as always. The penguin fabric is spectacular.