Saturday, September 10, 2011

"Flapper Girl" Spirit Doll


I had just enough of this cotton flapper girl fabric to make this spirit doll. She has the usual polyester fiberfill stuffing and polished river rocks in her base for standing weight. I hand-crafted the champagne bottle from polymer clay that was then baked, painted and varnished. Her beads are Czech glass seed beads, some round and others rectangular beadlettes (for her close-cropped hairdo), and there are also some sequins. She has a matched bracelet and choker faux pearl set. The beaded long necklace strand has a teardrop glass pendant at the bottom with a red Swarovski crystal above it. Along with that crystal, she has homegrown dried sage inside with her stuffing, both believed to add positive energy. The black fringe trim and headpiece feather came from JoAnn's. I think she may be in my Etsy shop soon. I know this dates me, but I was reminded of the early 60s TV show "The Roaring Twenties" while putting this one together. It was nostalgic and fun!

17 comments:

Its All About Creating said...

The beaded sequins, beaded necklace, the feathered headband and that bottle; wow, the detail. All that is missing is a little Charleston music. Oh yeah, and I love the fringe!

Carol said...

Wow!! You know me. I am enamored with your dolls and wowed by your props. I can't get over that tiny bottle. She is truly unique.

Barb said...

Looks amazing!!

kaysim said...

That's one of the cutest things I've seen!

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, this doll is outstanding. The fabric, the bottle, the hair, necklace, all are so special. Wow! She's beautiful.

Pat said...

Another great doll and WOW about the work you did on that bottle. I'd never have thought it was handmade! I do believe I recall that TV show, also. Hmmmm....guess I'm as old as you, huh? LOL

Sandy said...

The details are wonderful as is the doll.

Gene Black said...

I think the first commenter said it all. This is a great spirit doll.

Yvonne said...

Another great doll!

PeggyR said...

She is lovely! I love looking at th eone I bought from you.

Elaine Akers said...

too darn cute!!! love this doll.

The Other Barb said...

these Spirit doll designs are endless! cute Flapper girl :)

Penny said...

She is truly celebrating. I love her -- she does look like a 'flapper' - ready to dance the night away.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Thank you for the prayers...I love this new doll...she is delightful! I am just beginning to get back to my works. Peace, Mary Helen

Katie said...

What a sweet little flapper!

Stray Stitches said...

What a fun doll! She is a cutie!!

Karen said...

Love this doll! Does she do the Charleston? :) You are so creative.