Friday, November 4, 2011

"Happy Homemaker" Spirit Doll


The retro cotton print used to construct this doll's body seemed to go well with my idea for a Homemaker Spirit Doll. The delicate glass teapot and teacup charms on her cotton eyelet apron were graciously sent to me by Linda of Stray Stitches when I admired them on her blog. Then I received a box of thrifted goodies from another generous blogger (the "Queen of Thrifting") Artfully Ooglebloops that included the metal stork scissors charm and the sterling silver disc charm over her heart. She has the usual polyester fiberfill stuffing and polished river rocks in her base for standing. Her beads are Czech glass seed beads of various sizes with rectangular beadlettes for her eyes. I chose a true stump doll pattern with no arms, but in the end I wanted her to have arms, so I needle-felted them of wool roving. Her Swarovski crystal is in the palm of her hand, and she has homegrown dried sage inside with her stuffing, both believed to impart positive, protective energy. This is another doll that dates me with memories of cotton pinafores, eyelet aprons, and a nostalgic print. Someone said it looks like a tablecloth they remember from days gone by. Life seems to have left me with less blogging time these days, but I'll be around and looking forward to catching up when I can. Happy fall to everyone!

15 comments:

Carol said...

O she is so lovely. Of course you have the perfect embellishments. She has a real feel of a homemaker from the 40s/50s era. Around my house, we call that Mrs. Cleaver, for the ever popular Leave It To Beaver TV show.

She is perfect.
xx, Carol

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, she's beautiful! She looks like a real homemaker from days gone by. The details are perfect. I love her. Hopefully I'll see you at sit and sew in a week or so.
Gita

Stray Stitches said...

I knew you would make the perfect Spririt Doll to include the teapot and cup charms. She is precious!!

Gene Black said...

I love it, your embellishments are perfect.

Pat said...

I love your dolls...I wish you'd sell some as I'd love to have such a creation from a fellow "Hawthorne-ite". :)

Katie said...

She is so precious. I think you chose well with the background fabric-it does seem to inspire a homemaker doll. So cute. And how fun to use all those cherished gifts in her. You do amazing beadwork...I don't know if I'll ever be any good at beading! You rock it!

Whytefeather said...

Oh what a cutie! As others have said, she is the perfect home maker doll. The fabric reminds me of childhood and a bygone era. Lovely work as always!

PeggyR said...

She is really lovely!

Penny said...

I love her!! She is so reminiscent of my childhood. The addition of the needle felted arms is great. You've created a perfect vintage doll here.

Its All About Creating said...

One look at her little apron and I was flooded with memories of my grandmother's aprons and the apron she made me for my wedding shower. She had sewn "homemaker" charms to it. Little plastic coffee pots, doll house kitchen pots, pans, dishes, etc. I love this sweet doll. Adding her strong delicate arms was perfect.

Elaine Akers said...

What a lovely doll, Barbara. I love all the embellishments. Last week when I was in Maine I bought more fabric in at the Calico Basket Quilt shop, 31 Page Rd/St, Windham. The shop has a big selection of fabrics, patterns and wool for penny rugs. Of course I bought fabric and wool pieces.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

She is a beautiful doll...I still feel you should publish a special book of your dolls and your inspirations. Peace, Mary Helen

Kim D. said...

Hi Barb, I've been MIA for several mos and thought I would stop by and see what you've been up to. I love this latest Happy Homemaker Doll, she's lovely. You are so creative! Have a nice weekend my friend.

Karen said...

What a beautiful doll. Reminds me of my childhood...ever-present aprons and the nostalgic fabric. Love her perfect little charms. You do such lovely work!!!

Deborah said...

She's lovely and you've definitely captured the essence of a bygone era.