Monday, December 5, 2011

Elvis Spirit Doll


When I saw this fabric in the store, I knew I had to make a doll in the spirit of Elvis. He has the usual crystal (on the hanging music note) and sage is inside with the stuffing, both for positive vibrations and energy. I hand-embroidered his face with many tiny stitches, and his beads are all Czech glass seed beads of various sizes. His belt buckle is made of a silver button surrounded by bead stacks to hold it on. He's a hanging spirit doll with no legs or weight for standing, perfect since Ed Sullivan didn't show Elvis' legs either. This was fun to make, it just makes me smile. Back of doll is pictured below. He is now in my Etsy shop.

PS: Blogspot hasn't been allowing the usual double-click to super enlarge photos, but I've found if I "right-click" on a photo instead and choose "Open Link in New Window", I can then click again for super enlarged detail.

14 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

What a sweet sweet Elvis! Blessings. Mary helen

Carol said...

I love your Elvis!! So unusual.
There is a setting on your blog you have to change to give your pictures the ability to enlarge. I can't think of what it is right now, but I'll let you know if I think of it. Its something that Blogger changed lately. I never can figure out why they don't let well enough be!!

Now you have me humming my fav Evis song "Heartbreak Hotel"
xx, Carol

The Other Barb said...

funny that blogger Carol is humming "Heartbreak Hotel" ...I'm humming "Blue Suede Shoes". What a fun doll Barb!

Blue Ridge Mountains said...

Neato. Perfect fabric. You come up with some of the cleverest dolls. Pam

Katie said...

He is wonderful!!! Elvis is all about positive vies! I was just listening to an Elvis Xmas cd while decorating! I wish I could stop by and take beading lessons from you! I really want to embellish some things!

Yvonne said...

Yes, enlarging and seeing the detail makes it look GRAND! I love it! You find the neatest fabric! LOL

Gene Black said...

You would probably like my Elvis lounge pants too. Ha ha.
This is a bit different for your spirit dolls.

Julie-ann Bowden Heavenleigh Art said...

Thank you very much, I love Elvis so much! My days watching him bring such pure sweetness to my mind and heart. The good pure times!
You've made him so beautiful and proud! :)

PeggyR said...

Very cool!

Penny said...

How Fun!! I think you captured the 'spirit' of Elvis!

Elaine Akers said...

I love Elvis, and have bought Elvis fabric before, but have never seen the fabric you used. What a fun piece.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Yes I do think you would enjoy Button Flozzies...it is eye candy for eavery artist who collects special buttons. The exchange is closed...I think... but you might want to check this blog out. I am sending you blessings. Mary Helen

Julie-ann Bowden Heavenleigh Art said...

Loads of love to you Barbara :)Hope your having an amazing week!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Great spirit doll! I didn't realize Ed Sullivan did show Elvis' legs. Guess there was too much sexual activity going on there for those days.