Saturday, February 4, 2012

Felted Spirit Doll


I took a break from felting vessels but used the same wool roving to wet-felt a flat piece of 8" x 10" cloth. I liked the way it turned out but didn't know what to do with it. Someone (who doesn't quite "get" vessels ;) humorously suggested I go back to making dolls. So I took that felted cloth and created the front for this doll (I like the fabric I used for the back just as much though, see photo below). Unlike my other dolls, there isn't much of a theme for this one, just embellishments that I liked. The vintage sterling silver charm chest plate was sent to me by Ooglebloops in a giveaway. All the beads are glass -- bugle, seed, and larger rounds. There's one lampwork bead at the bottom of those hanging from her arm, and the felted bead above that came from Beth Moore Beads Etsy shop.
As always, this doll is weighted for standing with polished river rocks, and home-grown dried sage is inserted with the stuffing. Along with the sage, positive energy comes from four Swarovski crystals hanging freely along the side of her chest plate. She's definitely one of a kind because I'm not going to felt (and bead) flat cloth again, it was challenging. I know I keep saying this, but I think she will end up in my Etsy shop. I just need to make myself sit down and get busy stocking that shop!

12 comments:

Mother of Twenty Daughter's said...

She's so beautiful! Love the back of the doll also!

Gene Black said...

That is just lovely and I see it as a "reversible" doll.

Yvonne said...

I was so surprised when I scrolled down to see the back side. Wow, that is wonderful. I just love her!

The Other Barb said...

She's a pretty doll!

Penny said...

How wonderful that you were able to combine two of your favorite pastimes! She is lovely!

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

Well, I love the felted vessels and can see a million different uses for them! I always need a container here and there for all kinds of things.

The use of the felting on this spirit doll is lovely. She looks cozy and very full of spirit.

Nice job, Barbara!

Mother of Twenty Daughter's said...

You so very lovely Barbara! Much love :)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am in awe of your works ... and she is so sweet!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Katie said...

I love her! So great to use your new love of felting and mix it with your love of dolls. She is a beauty! xoxo

Deborah said...

She's lovely! Congratulations on your win from Penny!

Kris said...

What a fun piece! LOVE the beading and the surprising back!

Elaine Akers said...

Love it! I love the felted front with its rich gorgeous color. The back of the dolls fabric is pretty neat too. I like how you experimented and used the felt on your doll.