Sunday, September 9, 2012

Knitted Felted Vessel, part 2

This vessel is the result of the 5 needle knitting project in my last post. The colors in that post are not true, these are. This looked knitted (see post below) until I tossed it in the washing machine. With hot water and agitation, it became "felted". The felting process causes knitted stitches to become invisible as the wool fibers interlock. After shaping, drying, and embellishing, I have this 4" tall vessel that can be used or just enjoyed. With a small glass inside, it can be a vase. I have been using another similar vessel to hold q-tips in our bathroom. LOL, it's very strong. The copper charm has been waiting for a new home for awhile. Felting can be done in different ways, and knitting to felt is new to me. It's fun!

7 comments:

Penny said...

Oh, its lovely Barbara. Did you add the rose colored trim afterward? I've never felted although I have a friend who makes fabulous clothes using felting techniques. I love the textures.

Its All About Creating said...

Oh wow. I wish I could take a class from you. Just beautiful. The copper detail is perfect.

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, I love this vessel. Next maybe you'll try a knitted felted handbag. They're so much fun to make.
Gita

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Simply beautiful....the soft vessel could hold a sacred dream ...so simple and elegant! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Barb said...

Ohhhhh that is wonderful!! I love it!

Gene Black said...

It is very nice. I love using "artful things" in my house instead of things that are just utilitarian.

PeggyR said...

Oh this is lovely! Nice to see you creating again.