Monday, December 24, 2012

Fulling vs. Felting

Although sometimes used interchangeably, I just learned I've technically been "fulling" not "felting" my knitted vessels. This quote is from my newest book (a wonderful gift from my soon to be son-in-law). "Felting is the process of matting loose fibers together...Fulling is the shrinking that takes place after the fibers are intertwined." Since I've been knitting, then shrinking, I've actually been "Fulling". LOL, who knew?! This 5" diameter vessel is a gift for my daughter who chose the wire-wrapped bird nest I made some time ago as an embellishment. Happy Holidays to everyone!


4 comments:

Barb said...

This is just beautiful!

Gene Black said...

Interesting. I have always heard it called felting.

merry Christmas to you.

Penny said...

You learn something new every day. I thought the whole process of shrinking with water was felting! This is a lovely vessel -- I love these earth tones!

Merry Christmas!

Its All About Creating said...

I learn something new everyday...thank you. It is a very special, wonderful gift; beautiful. The nest is so perfect for the vessel.