Saturday, January 5, 2013

How to NOT Follow Directions

These small blocks are for Step 3 of Bonnie Hunter's current mystery quilt. For starters, I'm about 5 weeks behind, the first way I *didn't* follow directions. Here are some other ways I discovered while making these blocks that help with *not* following directions: use colors of your own choice instead of the really nice colors recommended, use fabrics that have been in your stash for years instead of buying fresh new ones, don't use the special time-saving and exact ruler for measuring and cutting that's recommended, and don't pay any attention to cutting on the diagonal. After all, you want at least a few wonky blocks. However, I have nothing that a little pressing and stretching won't fix. ;)


13 comments:

Penny said...

It looks like you did quite well - not following directions!! *smile* Following rules is fine - but sometimes it means you end up with something that looks like someone else's work - instead of protraying your own ideas and concepts.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Rules were made to be broken and stretched!

Gene Black said...

H aha... directions are just guidelines for people who don't have a creative bent.

PeggyR said...

In art there are no rules!

PeggyR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Other Barb said...

actually looking pretty good~ looking forward to seeing your total finish :)

bubbygigi said...

Barbara, I love your choice of colors. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was ice and cold.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh! I LOVE your color choice!!
Looks great to me. and You know what they say about rules...works for directions sometimes too.
xx, Carol

Robin said...

Lol even WITH the special rulers I still get a few wonky blocks! And I have some really old fabs in all of my Bonnie Hunter quilts! So don't sweat.the wonkies and old fabs...you are in good company ;)

Jennifer Gail said...

I think it looks wonderful.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am smiling also...it does looks like you have done a wonderful job and the process itself deserves your input. Carry on sweet friend. Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Its All About Creating said...

Gorgeous! I love when artists share their process, tips and info. Thanks. Beautiful colors.

Yvonne said...

It looks great to me! I'm one to not always follow rules too. Art is supposed to be that way....isn't it!!! LOL