You may have read my recent post titled "How to NOT Follow Directions" while starting Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, "Easy Street". Right from the get go, I did my own thing. I wasn't crazy about her colors, so the most rebellious thing I did was use my own scrappy stash fabrics. I tried to follow instructions from that point on...spent more than 3 days cutting all 8 mystery quilt steps, organizing them in baggies, marking each one with a step number, and starting to assemble the first block. Argh, I DIDN'T LIKE IT! Unfortunately, changing the colors and fabrics caused me to completely lose the block's pattern. I didn't know what to do, but this morning I decided my answer was simple...just find a layout I liked, just make it work! So, like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, I started moving the units around on my design board until I ended up with the following block. It's still very busy and scrappy, and there are some units I haven't used yet (like all those flying geese in my last post), but they will find their way into the quilt somehow as I keep going. Stay tuned, the entire quilt will be dizzying with all those polka dots, but at least now there's a design. I guess it's my own version of "Easy Street", but let me tell you, it was NOT easy!