Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What Happens when NOT Following Directions!

You may have read my recent post titled "How to NOT Follow Directions" while starting Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, "Easy Street". Right from the get go, I did my own thing. I wasn't crazy about her colors, so the most rebellious thing I did was use my own scrappy stash fabrics. I tried to follow instructions from that point on...spent more than 3 days cutting all 8 mystery quilt steps, organizing them in baggies, marking each one with a step number, and starting to assemble the first block. Argh, I DIDN'T LIKE IT! Unfortunately, changing the colors and fabrics caused me to completely lose the block's pattern. I didn't know what to do, but this morning I decided my answer was simple...just find a layout I liked, just make it work! So, like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, I started moving the units around on my design board until I ended up with the following block. It's still very busy and scrappy, and there are some units I haven't used yet (like all those flying geese in my last post), but they will find their way into the quilt somehow as I keep going. Stay tuned, the entire quilt will be dizzying with all those polka dots, but at least now there's a design. I guess it's my own version of "Easy Street", but let me tell you, it was NOT easy!


8 comments:

Elaine Akers said...

I like your colors and pattern.

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

Barbara, I love the way you roll--the block is fantastic!

The Other Barb said...

it's pretty~

Katie said...

Way to make it work! Great block Barb!

Gene Black said...

Lol, you are a kindred spirit. I always try to go my own way in things, many times it is to my chagrin

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Tah-dah!!!!!!! I think this is a marvelous self discovery adventure... the colors are wonderful and the black/white fabric makes the block pop!!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Yvonne said...

Very nice. Combining fabrics in a block like that was always difficult for me, but I love your choices.

Beth said...

I'm realizing that so much of crafting is about "making it work". I think that's actually half the fun in the end :)