Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Dear Jane" Reinvented

This is what sometimes happens with a UFO. I started making the entire "Dear Jane" quilt years ago. I used Civil War fabrics I love, but I got tired of making all those little blocks. I had finished 87 of them, and they sat around until I put them into these two smaller finishes instead. The photo with white sashings is a lap quilt I put together last year, and the other is a table topper I just completed this weekend. The third photo shows a little "back art" on the table topper. I used my very last "Dear Jane" block there and signed it with my initials. Whew, I'm glad to finally sever my relationship with Jane. ;) The good news is I now see her in two rooms instead of only one!





10 comments:

Gene Black said...

The different sashings give them a totally different look. I know if I started a Dear Jane, it would end as a UFO.

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

Barbara, a two very nice finishes!!! You can never play by the rules though, can you? That's a good thing!

Penny said...

How nice that you not only finished the project but have two pieces to show for it. They're lovely.

Yvonne said...

I love the story behind the Dear Jane quilt. A friend of mine made one and I just couldn't believe the number of pieces in her large quilt, over 5000 I believe. It is really lovely what you did.

The Other Barb said...

These look great~ Glad thet are a completed project now~

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love what you have done....the sashing tell a variety of stories! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Katie said...

Those are some nice blocks! wow- you have more patience than me! I also love the Civil War fabrics! Beautiful Barb!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Thank you for visiting my blog...being visible is a gift for all of us. Thank you and tomorrow I will get some work done......smiling! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Beth said...

Yay! You finished it! I'm glad it's not sitting around in our spare room anymore :)

Its All About Creating said...

I can't believe I have missed all these posts, but am so glad I am catching up. I will have to look up the story behind Dear Jane because the quilts are fascinating and beautiful. I like that you split them up and can use them in more than one way. They are stunning. A lot of work in those little pieces of historical art.