Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Vintage CONTEST!

Not from hurricane Sandy this time, just some things I like. First, a glass bead and sequin encrusted purse mirror from my senior friend Emily just because she knew I like vintage things. She is now gone, and I treasure this along with her memory.  

Also, here are interesting items from my small thimble collection. The one top left is sterling silver with a dimpled purple glass top (hard to see that here). There's another sterling silver standing to the right, a brass one next, and a hand painted one far right that I think is made of paper mâché. 

Here is the contest. I haven't mentioned the smallest thimble. I'm throwing that identification question out to all of you. A winner will be randomly picked from all correct answers and will be sent a surprise in the mail!


9 comments:

Yvonne said...

Looks like the Monopoly game thimble to me. LOL

Jennifer Gail said...

A child thimble?!

Gene Black said...

I think it is an 18th century lofting thimble, quite probably made for a child.

Penny said...

I suspect it is a child's thimble also. Perhaps used when each girl worked on her own sampler.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Welll, I sure don't know why there is green on it. And since I know nothing about thimbles, I'm using a life line and calling Gene...he knows what he is talking about ~ LOL

shawn said...

Hmmmm, it must be a childs thimble, that's the only thing I could think of. Thanks for the chance.
(smjohns63 at yahoo dot com)

underatopazsky said...

I just wanted to say I love that encrusted mirror!

Its All About Creating said...

I don't know what the small thimble is for, but that mirror....oh my! It is gorgeous and what a nice memory of a good friend. It is so lovely, thank you for sharing.

Dolores said...

My thought is that the thimble was meant for a small child. Years ago the needle arts were taught to very small girls. It takes time to get used to using a thimble and I guess the earlier you start, the easier it will be to learn to use one.