Monday, June 10, 2013

Spring Wall Hanging


I just finished this wall hanging from a Country Creations pattern with my friend Stampin' Quilter Barb, but I sometimes feel restricted by following a pattern. Barb's is absolutely beautiful, but to make mine feel different, I ignored the pattern's fabric suggestions and used my own whimsical prints instead. They are all "critters" and the result is busy, but it was fun to do. I don't hand-quilt anymore, and machine quilting isn't my thing, so I hand-tied this quilt as I've done with others. That process harkens back to traditional utilitarian quilt-making days of using butcher string to tie quilts that were made for warmth when every scrap mattered, and it makes me feel connected to days gone by. However, I use Perle cotton floss in various colors instead of butcher string, and the black was intentional in this wall hanging to give the impression of birds in the sky. 

7 comments:

Its All About Creating said...

Stunning! I especially love the birdhouses (nesting, birth, family, cycle of life). The butterflies=metamorphosis and the flowers from seeds striving to bloom. All the busy insects necessary to make it all happen. And then there is the whimsey of the air balloons reminding us to take time to get away from it all every once in a while and look at things from another perspective. Just beautiful.

Penny said...

This is wonderful and so nice that it is created in the 'vintage' tradition. It will look so nice with your collections from times gone by.

Yvonne said...

Beautifull done.
BTW, I put my spirit pillow inside the pillow case of my bed pillow. Loving the sea glass too. Hope you got my thanks you before.

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

Good job Barbara. And, I don't think any one of us are surprised that you colored outside the box.. it's what you do and with fabulous results.

As for the tying with butcher string, all of the quilts from my family are simple patchwork quilts tied with butcher's string. My descendants were potato farmers from Quebec who transplanted to Salem, Mass, to work in the fabric mills. All the quilts from David's family are fabulous designs and applique'. His roots are in Western, PA, where his Mom and his Dad's families had huge farms and were obviously influenced by the PA Dutch and Amish designs. These quilts are worn out completely and some people would likely use them as cutters, but I use them for their intended purpose of keeping warm. All of the quilts are at the lake house now, and I follow Dave's Mom's tradition of deciding whether it's a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 quilt night. We've had a lot of 5 quilt nights at the lake this spring!

The Other Barb said...

Nice Barb.So glad you finished your quilt. Mine is still a quilt top. Another fun project that we've done together~

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

beautiful Barb...what is so great about little birdhouses...I have real ones on my front porch but I will have to make another for my home studio ! Peace, Mary Helen fernandez Stewart

Gene Black said...

I really like the patterned fabrics for the birdhouses. It adds a great textural feel.