Sunday, August 11, 2013

Monster Doll Surprise


I've jumped on the Monster Doll-making bandwagon, but I want mine to be whimsical, not scary or gross. I'm calling this 13" doll "Frightful Freda", but she has a tiny smile. I drew the body shapes on cardboard, traced them onto unused fabric quilt blocks, then cut and machine-stitched them together before stuffing. Her face is wool felt, and her eyes are vintage buttons. Like everything I stuff, this doll has sage inside and a genuine crystal on the outside for positive energy. Then came a surprise when she was done -- I realized I may have channeled a few of my ancestors and my father who were Firemen, the subject of my fussy-cut fabric embellishments. The Superman image just seemed to validate that first responder theme. Instead of planning a project or following a pattern, choosing everything as it's needed is more fun for me, and it often ends in this kind of surprise. 

14 comments:

PeggyR said...

She is cute.

The Other Barb said...

I'm just not sure what to say abt this doll .Still a bit scary ( but not gross) looking to me. But knowing you, I'm sure you had a fun time creating this.

Robin said...

Love her! I do love scary/creepy monsters myself, but she has just a touch of scary ;)

Robin said...

Love her! I do love scary/creepy monsters myself, but she has just a touch of scary ;)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Frightful Freda is too cute to be a monster...she is lovely!!!Have a great weekend! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Barb said...

It made me smile....

Its All About Creating said...

Love, love, love!!! The creative patches, colors and stitching are perfect. Lots of fun, good spirit in this doll.

Yvonne said...

LOL how cute!

Gene Black said...

I love working that way. Just let the piece come together and see what happens.

Katie said...

This is the sweetest little monster, for sure!

Penny said...

She's darling and not scary at all -- which is perfect! Very whimsical and I love that she just 'came together' as you went, the most fun way to work.

Elaine Akers said...

How fun. Love your little monster. :-)

Angela Michaud-Mourer said...

I love her! And, as you know, I love that your creativity does not live in a box

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I LOVE this doll! So much fun! Don't you feel great about her! Love i!