Friday, November 22, 2013

Downton Abbey

I have never seen the show and probably wouldn't have taken notice when a local quilt shop announced Downton Abbey fabrics are in stock. However, my daughter likes the show, so it got my attention. I googled and learned this British period drama is set in the early1900s, and the styles of that era are classic, so I went to see the fabrics. They are lovely(!) and I bought 2 fat quarters (below) just because I like them. However, not only are there fabrics inspired by this show, but there is a whole line of additional items for *each* of the 4 main characters -- patterns for quilts, bags, and more may be coming. I came away loving my fat quarters but muttering something about "commercialization". THEN in my mailbox this morning was a promotion for a "Downton Abbey Quilt Retreat". Only $165.00 for 3 days at a hotel (overnight room not included) working with the special fabrics in 2 classes to make a quilt and a bag. Sewing with others is always fun (includes meals), but I'm still muttering "Bah, commercialization". However, to be fair, if the show wasn't a commercial success, none if these lovely fabrics would exist. Hmmm...I might start to watch the show. 

 

5 comments:

  1. Barbara, I like your fabric choices and do enjoy the show. What are you planning to make from these fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the show - lol! But I might draw the line at calling a quilting event after it. That period in history seems to be in vogue. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this fabric line, on line. I think it is very new. I thought most were beautiful and I love your choices especially the lower one. I don't watch the show. I don't do very well with prime time soap operas. I hate to have to see a show every week, except of course, The Good Wife, and The Vikings and The Killing....

    Whatcha gonna do with your fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabrics, whatever their provenance! ;o) Loving your creative adventures in weaving as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I like best about taking one of these get-a-way & create gatherings is meeting others and sharing. And, in the process, learning more about the craft. It's like having 10 more teachers. The fabrics are lovely and I've learned something new.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments very much -- thanks for visiting!