Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Beautiful Weed

Have you ever looked closely at Queen Anne's Lace? I walk where it grows and took these pics today. There are dozens of tiny blossoms in each bloom that make up the familiar large umbrella-shaped flower, and each of  these blooms has it's own stem (first photo). The name comes from a story about Queen Anne who pricked her finger while making lace, and a drop of blood fell to the middle of her work. Look closely at the center of each full flower for a single tiny crimson-colored blossom. 



5 comments:

  1. I have seen Queen Anne's Lace, but I never saw the tiny red blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to look closer to see that red. I have a small section of the yard where I let weeds grow. I actually plant bird seed there and watch the birds and butterflies fly in and out all summer long. I am always amazed at the flowers weeds produce. What is the difference between a weed and a wildflower? I should google that ~lol~

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I've used it in collages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often admired it but never knew the story -- its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments very much -- thanks for visiting!