Thursday, November 6, 2014

Rust Dyeing

My first attempt at this has been so much fun! I like the surprise of not knowing how something will turn out until it's done. I soaked cotton fabric in vinegar, then wrapped it around rusty bottle caps, rusty nails, and some steel wool. After 24 hours in a warm place, I unwrapped it and had neat rust-colored patterns on the cotton.The first photo is my favorite larger section of the finished piece. The second is a close-up of a smaller area that reminds me of a space-creaturish face, and I love it!



4 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Excellent results!!

Gene Black said...

Very cool.. What strikes me is in the larger picture -lower right - there is a profile cameo - or at least it appears so in the photo.

Penny said...

This is like looking at the clouds in the sky and making them into animals. Its wonderful and goes along with my post today.

Its All About Creating said...

I had not heard of rust dyeing (on purpose). Does it fade after washing or stay as intense? It is really fascinating. Your piece turned out very pretty.