Friday, November 14, 2014

We Have Rust Dyed Fabric

These rusty bird feeder results aren't as good as my first rust dyeing attempt, but I think the fabric I used here might be a polyester blend. This process works best with 100% cotton or silk, so I will try again today with different fabric. I just searched our basement for rusty things and found some REALLY cool ones that should give me interesting designs. Wish me luck! 

In the meantime here is the rest of the process from yesterday's post using the rusty bird feeder. The first two photos show the bird feeder brought indoors and being unwrapped. The fabric looks very rust stained. 



Once unwrapped, it was rinsed in a salt water solution to stop the process, then washed in my washing machine. I will use this piece for something, but am hoping for less monotone and more drama using a 100% cotton fabric. See you tomorrow!



4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Thanks for sharing the process.

Penny said...

It looks lovely to me. Putting other colors in would be fun too - like something with a plum color or blues or whatever. Not being a dyer I'm know next to nothing about the process - but the results look great.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't know anything about dying except ty-dye, but I think a little blue would be great. This piece turned out pretty cool!!
xx, Carol

Barb said...

I just love coming by here and seeing the interesting things you are doing....