Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Onamori

My son (an Aikido instructor and Buddhist priest) is building a monastery near Madison, WI (last photo) with the help of volunteers from his Aikido school. I'm excited about the hand-made gifts for his contributors. They are called "Onamori" -- an embroidered silk pouch from Japan that is sealed shut and never to be opened. Inside will be placed a piece of white birch bark harvested from the monastery's property (second photo). Each one will have a Sanskrit character hand-brushed onto it representing the monastery's guardian figure. These protective amulets will be empowered in a ceremony before given to contributors. I wish I was there to take part in their creation!




3 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

How special-thanks for sharing

Gene Black said...

Very interesting. I have never known any Buddists, but I try to honor all religions and philosophies.

Its All About Creating said...

I wish you could go too. He is a very special person. You can be so proud.