Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Rust on my Wall

After numerous December posts detailing my progress, here is my 30" x40" finished rust-dyed piece hanging from a grapevine. Much like a traditional quilt, it has three layers secured by DMC floss ties. Then I added a fourth layer of burlap to the front to showcase the fabric, and secured it with big yarn stitches. I enjoy rust-dyeing fabric a lot, but not so much working with burlap. It's stiff, scratchy, frays too easily, and sheds a great deal. However, I like the finished look it gave to this piece. 


8 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I love what you made with your rust dyed pieces-which I never had thought of-awesome job-love it

Debbie said...

Beautiful piece, the dark surround brings out the rust colours and patterns so well.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lovely patterns. A nice hanging to enhance your weavings!
xx, Carol

Penny said...

It came out perfectly. Sometimes we 'artists' have to suffer -- but yours was well worth it!! *smile*

Barb said...

I am looking at that and saying...wow.....I think I could stare at that a while.

Gene Black said...

I love the windowpane effect. This is a great art quilt.

PeggyR said...

This is very cool! Happy New Year!

Its All About Creating said...

I hate burlap…..but you are right; it is perfect for the framing of this piece. Absolutely stunning!