Friday, March 20, 2015

Retro Theme Spirit Doll

I decided to make this doll when I found the red and black old-fashioned telephone print fabric. I clearly recall my grandfather at his desk talking into the tall base with a separate earpiece held to his ear. The line of glass beads reminds me of a telephone line. The buttons on the face are of vintage glass. Then I added a large button from a pea coat (with an anchor relief) like so many had in the 40s and 50s. The two beads hanging with that button are painted and varnished paper clay. The other arm has a Cape Cod style house charm, the most modern development architecture of that time. The sewing machine charm on the chest, more reminiscent of older mechanical machines than modern computerized ones, is attached with a Swarovski crystal that I add to all my Spirit Dolls along along with sage in the stuffing. The last thing I added is a resin cabochon (made by my daughter) encasing steampunk-type gears widely used during the earlier machine age. That cabochon is attached with black glass bead stacks. Polished river rocks provide base weight for standing. The retro elements of this doll are random, but I relate to some of them more than those of our high tech age.



4 comments:

Starr White said...

this wonderfully nostalgic dolly seems a bit bumfuzzled by all the modern technology nowadays.....a little bit like me!

Gene Black said...

When I saw the post title I immediately thought of 45rpm records and the plastic insert to put in them

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love everything about her. The oldest phone I can remember using was a little more modern that the two piece, but it was a party line. Listen for the right ring and be sure to listen to hear if Mrs. Nosy was listening in!
xx, Carol

Its All About Creating said...

Wow, great story. This spirit doll has a lot of soul. So much thought went into this piece; it is really special.