Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sharing a Nostalgic Photo

If you are old enough to remember the sound depicted by this photo, it may help. My grandparents lived along the Delaware River in NJ, with a railroad running along two of their property lines. My grandfather was the switchman in an old wooden tower, long gone, and I can still see him carrying his lunchpail as he walked down the tracks to his tower. When I saw this photo, I fondly recalled the "choo-choo-choo" sound of steam engines, faster and faster as they picked up speed. They also had a distinctive aroma that comes back to me even today. 


5 comments:

Penny said...

Wonderful winter picture. I've always loved trains and bemoan the fact that they have been 'left behind' as transportation. I used to watch them go by and wonder where they were going and who was riding in them.

Penny said...

Wonderful winter picture. I've always loved trains and bemoan the fact that they have been 'left behind' as transportation. I used to watch them go by and wonder where they were going and who was riding in them.

Gene Black said...

Yes, the sound and the smell seem to be ingrained in our memories.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great pic and nice memory. There is a train that runs between South Bend and Chicago. It had a stop by my house when I was young and my friend's dad was a conductor. We used to ride it from our house to the next stop to school if the weather was too bad to walk. It cost $25 but her dad let us ride for free. Corey's girlfriend has never ridden a train. They drive to Chicago all the time. (They have the same love for that town where I was born as I do). Anyway, over the holidays he thought he would take her to Chicago on the train as a surprise. The surprise was on him...$20 each...each way. Sadly, they drove. I checked Amtrack for him, which also has stations near us and it cost even more.
xx, Carol

Marlene Brady said...

I went to high school in a tiny town in Nebraska. Our house was across the street from the train. I got used to it. I liked listening to the rhythm of the wheels on the tracks. Not so much the train whistle!