Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Re-thinking

My orchids still look great, but I'm exhausted. They have more needs than the 4 kids I've raised. Providing good light but no direct sun, moisture but not too much or too little, special bark planting mix, special pots that drain from the sides and bottom, and repotting because of root rot, has all been a lot of work. So I'll enjoy them until they show signs of dying, then I'll let them go. I still love them, but propagating them won't become a hobby. I need hobbies that aren't so much work!


5 comments:

Gene Black said...

LOL.. Orchids are a JOB - not a hobby.

Penny said...

Yikes!! They talk about the care of 'hot house' plants but I never new it could be so complicated and time consuming!

Penny said...

Yikes!! They talk about the care of 'hot house' plants but I never new it could be so complicated and time consuming!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nope, I'm not laughing. My SIL doesn't do anything to hers and it is flourishing. You may have overthought all this! She keeps hers on a shelf across the kitchen patio door. But I"M like you...too much work when you go by the guidelines! Back to stitching now......
xx, Carol

kathyinozarks said...

Yes I have heard that orchids are really allot of work especially if you want to propagate them too-but then others do nothing but water them and they do fine