Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Special Things from Mongolia

  • As part of an environmental consulting team, my husband recently spent 3-1/2 weeks in numerous locations of Mongolia. He brought back a number of things, these two being the ones I thought would be of most interest on my blog. The woven piece is 100% pure cashmere (Gene, I won't be cutting it. ;) The wooden piece with hand-carved images of indigenous animals is a ceremonial milk blessing stick. Milk is sprinkled from the shallow end bowl as a blessing is given. There's much more online about this custom. 
 

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

I wouldn't cut the cashmere either. What size is the woven piece? Do you have plans for using it?
The Blessing stick is very interesting to me also.

Barbara said...

I hadn't thought to measure it until Gene asked -- it's 27" wide by 76" long. Also, note the top portion of the blessing sick, a full horse's head visible mostly from the side. It's one of the modes of transportation in more remote areas of Mongolia.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It's a very interesting carved stick. The cashmere scarf is so pretty. First I thought it would be lovely in the winter worn as a scarf. But then I thought it is a lovely memento of Terry's trip and felt you might find a special way to display it. He is so thoughtful to bring back pieces from the countries he visits. A nice way of sharing the trip with you.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

Lovely treasures-and I agree about not cutting the fabric!

Villa-loredana said...

All is very nice, the cashmere scarf is do prety, not pretty, very nice and elegant, the colours are amazing.