Sunday, August 21, 2016

An Experiment

I admit this was not supposed to be an experiment. It was a new craft to me, I got excited, and thought I'd do it for the rest of my life! So next came outfitting myself with all the supplies. I watched a lot of YouTube videos, went shopping numerous times, browsed the Internet and ordered, and found an art glass shop for sheets of colored glass. I wanted to make leaves and flowers, but scoring and breaking the glass in desired shapes was a nightmare. After 5 Band Aids on my fingers, a hammer worked better, and I settled for whatever shapes I got. I thought e6000 glue would be best, so I dove in glueing down tiles and glass, willy nilly, on this 6" square ceramic tile from Lowes (the green one left mid-section is a mirror reflecting trees). But no! It was a stringy, gluey mess. So then I joined a mosaic Facebook group to learn and bought Weldbond glue instead. The last big step was grouting. That's when I started to ask "What was I thinking?!" This is the result, and although it's not what I was after, I learned a lot. I will do it again, but will I do it for the rest of my life? I don't think so. ;)

4 comments:

Dolores said...

If that's only 6", there's a lot of detail in it. I thought it was bigger. Have fun playing.

kathyinozarks said...

I admire you for wanting to learn new things and challenge yourself-keeping having fun-you go girl!

Debra said...

I dive into new projects the same way. You never know until you try something if you're going to want to keep doing it. So you haven't lost anything by trying, and you've made a very nice tile as well! It is good to express yourself with different mediums, I think it helps out with the projects we most love to do...

Penny said...

Oh, you sound so much like me! Six months later I'm donating have the 'stuff' I got for this new 'lifelong' craft. Oh well, I've had a lot of fun along the way and perhaps at my current ripe old age I know my limits (mostly related to attention *smile*). You have a beautiful first try - I can't say that always happened to me *smile*.