Friday, August 5, 2016

Sit and Sew - Row by Row

I meet with a *great* group once each month. It's not like a real quilt guild with sign-ups, dues, shows, etc. There's no commitment, and we just enjoy each other's company while working on whatever project we bring. We meet in a church all-purpose room where we have a kitchen, tables, chairs, and outlets for those who bring machines. We bring lunch and can stay as long as we want. About 2 months ago someone asked if anyone wanted to take part in a "Row by Row" challenge. About 8 of us are doing it, and we add one row per month to each other's quilt until we have added a row to all of them. We can add a row of any block we choose as long as it uses the requested colors of the quilt's owner. Here is the row I just finished for someone who provided some fabric for red, white and blue. My row is laid out on the bottom, I love making string blocks! I'll update on this project as the months pass. It's so much fun! 

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

I find it difficult to make blocks for someone else. I have worked with other quilters' blocks and think, ::if I made that mistake I probably wouldn't send the block." Which makes me think "they may be better at this than I am and I don't want them seeing my mistakes.
Insecurity? yeah, maybe so.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh the quilt is stunning. I love each row. I wish I had a group to meet with that would be more social than actually stitching. I'm pretty introverted so it would be hard for me to find one, but if I did, I think I would go. I'm not too keen on stitching for other's project though. I did a round robin once in a beading group and didn't like it too well. But I'm weird...I admit it.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

Oh my-this is stunning! It will be a gorgeous quilt when finished. Your row is lovely.

Penny said...

A perfect design choice given the season. Its beautiful and has a beautifully 'strong' look to it.

Penny said...

A perfect design choice given the season. Its beautiful and has a beautifully 'strong' look to it.

Debra said...

Hello-I'm answering your questions here-I never know if I'm supposed to do it at my blog or the person's who asked the questions! Anyway- Norton is a Ring-necked dove. We bought him and Riley at a pet shop-but I have noticed they are not for sale anymore-at least not around here. I have read they can live to be about 40 years old!

bubbygigi said...

The quilt is beautiful so far. I can't wait to see more of it as people add rows.