Thursday, September 29, 2016

Loving My Drop-Spindle

I had spun this sparkly blue roving (Wool, Silk, Nylon, silver fibers) but the resulting yarn was too bulky to knit in-the-round for my vessels. I didn't want to make it even thicker by spinning it again with a second plying yarn, so I tried a tip I saw posted in my Facebook drop spindle group. I spun it again and plied it with a black Perle cotton thread (hope you can see it) instead of a second yarn. A thread with more contrast would have been pretty, the color possibilities are endless. The thickness is even better now, and I know I can knit with it. Practicing and experimenting here!
 
 
   

5 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

awesome idea! I did something similiar with a very thick yarn of mine and added one of those fun fur yarns-your yarn is sooooo much better than mine ever was in the beginning-I am finally getting better but still not totally even

kathyinozarks said...

oh what drop spindle group are you in? those are great groups for learning and inspiration on fb

Gene Black said...

That definitely looks better than my first several yarns. But I confess that I never plied on the drop spindle.

Debra said...

You are doing such lovely yarn!!!

Marlene Brady said...

How clever. It looks really great.