Sunday, September 11, 2016

One of Summer's Last Blooms

My Grandmother always had many Morning Glories climbing strings going up from her old front porch railing. We played on the porch bathed in the vivid green color of the sun shining through the curtain of foliage. I don't have the old front porch or strings for them to climb, but Morning Glories will climb a trellis. I try to grow some each year. The seeds were planted in May, and four months later I have plenty of foliage and my first flower. I caught the shot above just before it fully opened today, and I see more buds. So nostalgic!
 

6 comments:

Penny said...

I love Morning Glories -- they always seem like a flower from the past for some reason and take me back to my childhood when they were more often seen.

Penny said...

I love Morning Glories -- they always seem like a flower from the past for some reason and take me back to my childhood when they were more often seen.

kathyinozarks said...

I love morning glories too

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh Jeez. I have volunteer purple morning glories blooming like crazy in the front yard. I planted red ones in the back to climb the fence by the pond. The vines hard FULL...of leaves and only just the other day gave me a sight of two flowers. I am hoping that now they has started I'll get tons of flowers before the frosts come.
xx, Carol

Gene Black said...

I find it funny that in different places they are considered differently. Here the morning glories grow easily and we consider them a weed or nuisance plant.
Still the flowers on them are pretty. I have some that have volunteered in my Canna bed and I have to pull them up to keep them from overtaking the cannas.

Marlene Brady said...

I know how it feels.