Sunday, December 18, 2016

Wintry Wishes

My wishes for a most joyous holiday season to all my blog-reading friends! This nostalgic photo always reminds me of winter and the Christmas season. My Grandfather walked to work everyday as switchman in the old wooden railroad tower along the Delaware River. Then we walked the same tracks to visit him on his job. I remember the row of large wooden switch handles in his small space at the top of the tower. To keep us busy, he shared paper, pencils, and carbon paper. It was like magic to see our drawings reproduced on the paper underneath the carbon paper! Do any of you also remember the "Choo-choo-choo" sound and whistle of steam engines?
   

7 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Thank you Barbara, love the photo-what awesome memories! Yes I grew up a block form a very active train track so remember the sound of the train and the whistle
Merry Christmas

bubbygigi said...

Yes, I've used carbon paper. I love trains and travel by train very often. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gosh this is such a great picture!! In high school I rode the local train to school most days that ran from South Bend Indiana to Chicago. My girlfriend's father was a conductor so we didn't pay, but if we ever did, it cost a quarter for the ride across town. Now I live by a train "yard" and it is a pain in the A**! Those whistles have changed to an alarming noise that has to be sounded at EVERY crossing...a block apart...for about 2 miles down the track before it goes through open spaces. BUT I DO love this picture. It whispers serenity.
Merry Christmas
xx, Carol

(-12 this AM with wind chill of -25!!)

Debra said...

Beautiful photo! Merry Christmas to you! I do remember that sound-I was very young, and a steam train traveled not too far from my grandparent's house. Now a 4 lane highway is there-everything's different....
But we live not too far from a rr track now. I love to hear the whistle at night-it seems to echo-it's a sad but lovely sound. We've heard that sound make the coyotes howl-pretty neat!

Penny said...

Lovely photography!! I wish we still had trains like that -- everything is TOO fast!! I agree with you about the train whistle and have fond memories of the coyotes in the desert. Have a lovely holiday!

kathyinozarks said...

I agree Carol sooo noisy there where you live, when I stayed with my brother for a visit one year wow from the peace of the woods to all that noise-never did get much sleep lol

Barb said...

Love this photo....and it truly is nostalgic