Friday, February 3, 2017

First Appliqué Piece

This 27"x 24" piece hangs inside my sewing room closet. I made it in the late 1980s, and the dark blue binding has completely faded. I had no pattern, but wanted to make something like a piece I admired in a local quilt shop window. I plunged in by cutting fabrics from my stash and somehow designed the figure, then I zig-zagged it all down on inexpensive low thread-count muslin. I did the meander quilting by hand when I had no idea what meandering even meant. The figure is surely not meant to be realistic, or she would have longer legs!

5 comments:

Debra said...

Oh my gosh Barbara-this is wonderful!!! I am getting an itch to try some quilting-you are inspiring me-even though I am very shaky about it! You have been so kind to me about my art-I appreciate it because I feel very inadequate. Thank you for wanting to read all my ramblings too! You're tops!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

There is one quality you have that really stands out...you have no fear of trying new things, as you have shown over the years on your blog when you share many of your past work. I did hand applique many years ago but never on a quilt. THAT is definitely on my to do list this year. I am antsy to stitch something. The next couple of weeks can't fly by fast enough.
xx, Carol

Gene Black said...

That was a great way to begin learning. And you realized right away that you don't really need a pattern

kathyinozarks said...

You always inspire me with your many creative talents-hugs to you

Penny said...

She's quite lovely and its so nice that she's there to greet you each day.