Saturday, April 8, 2017

Wire, Bulking Materials, and Masking Tape Armature

A kitty sculpture will hopefully result with this 3" x 4" project. It starts with bending wire in the shape of the subject. Eighteen gauge wire is recommended, but my hands need thinner that is easier to bend, so I use twenty gauge. Then it's time to add bulk with padding of scrunched foil, cardboard, etc. to the desired shape. I like to use pieces of packing foam if I have it.

All of that is totally covered with masking tape to hold it together. I used decorative masking tape only because the store was out of plain. It doesn't matter as it will all be covered in the end. These two photos show those first steps. Next posts will show papier mache and final finishing. This is really fun!

7 comments:

Penny said...

What a cute project!!! It must be fun to have it develop beneath your hands.

kathyinozarks said...

oh thanks for showing us the process Barbara

Gene Black said...

One look at the first picture and I was thinking ooooh - kitty! I will enjoy seeing how this one goes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am wondering how big your kitty is. I did some paper mache' many years ago. It's really true, what's old is new again. Except when it comes to bodies. Old bodies will never be new again, lol.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

This really is cute-we are all waiting impatiently for the end result!

Barb said...

I just love seeing your creative process....

Starr White said...

Barbara! How adorable! I love working with paper mache too, but it's been a while. Looking forward to seeing kitty progress :)